Thursday, May 8, 2014

hiking with an umbrella: gulugod baboy

View from the top.
Gulugod Baboy - close to Manila, very easy to climb in less than two hours and also good for beginners, the chance to explore a nearby island and the beach in the same day, superb view at the top - just a few reasons why many hikers choose this mountain.

We were just supposed to be a group of five geologists but the evening before the climb, I mentioned our plan to my friend Kirstie and she decided to come without much thought. Her only past hiking experience was in Mount Pinatubo and since Gulugod Baboy is recommended for first time hikers, I was confident that she would make it.

We were at the bus station in Cubao before 5am. We intended to do the hike in the morning and just lounge on the beach in the afternoon. But it must be that it was the week before Semana Santa and there were so many people going to Batangas. We were only able to board the bus after more than two hours. Add to that the horrible traffic in the city and even in Batangas and we reached Anilao at past 11, while some other groups were already on their way down.

Blood pressure check for only 8 pesos. Photo by R. Escanlar.
Since it was almost noon, we had our lunch and halo-halo, some gratification before the suffering (from too much heat). We had no idea about the registration fee, but apparently everyone who wants to climb Gulugod Baboy must pay 30 Pesos. The trail starts at the road just across the Philpan Diving Resort in Anilao. It's mostly cemented road and farther up there were some more concreting works. The sun was so high up and it was so hot that I really had to use my umbrella. Yup, no shame in there.

The first part of the actual trail was very steep. We were done tackling that steep part when Kirstie started feeling bad inside her. I had to go down with her and on the way I thought how funny it would be if I didn't make it. It was only 1pm but with our pace, I didn't know how long it would take us. I've scaled Mt. Apo but not Gulugod Baboy. Haha.

Thankfully, Kirstie was better after a few minutes. But we had to climb the very steep part again. She kept on telling me that she didn't have the energy to walk anymore and I just kept on encouraging her. That was the only thing I could do. There were still some houses on the way with make-shift benches under the shade and we rested there for several minutes. We actually had plenty of extended stops but with perseverance, we eventually made it to the top in less than two hours.

Photo by R. Escanlar.
Now, I still don't see the shape of the pig's spine that the ridge is supposed to resemble, giving it its name. Even when my friend explained it to me, I still didn't get it. My imaginative mind wasn't at its best that time. 

Trees were scarce at the top. But the wind was continuously blowing so the heat didn't bother us anymore. We spent more than an hour there, just feeling the wind, basking in the sun, admiring the view and taking tons of pictures. On the way down, we came across a large group who will be spending the night. They must have had a splendid view of the sunset.

We still enjoyed a beautiful sunset.
While on the bus going back to Manila, I realized that it wouldn't really bother me even if I didn't make it to Gulugod Baboy. At least I learned from that experience that my longtime belief was so wrong. There is no town named Anilao. It is just a barangay in the town of Mabini. Okay, and more importantly, I encouraged a friend to engage in outdoor activities.

How we got there and back: We took a bus at EDSA Cubao to Batangas City terminal. We then transferred to a jeep going to Mabini. Since there were six of us, the driver agreed to take us directly to Philpan resort for 100 pesos each. Going back, we took a tricycle going to the jeepney stop. There were still tricycles even at six in the evening. The jeepney dropped us at a junction where we had to take a short tricycle ride to the terminal.

No comments:

Post a Comment