Tuesday, October 20, 2015

a story of kindness from sri lanka

Let's just say that our introduction with Sri Lanka didn't turn out quite well. Taking the wrong exit at the airport, a shuttle we couldn't find, an excessively inflated fare for a short tuk-tuk ride, and an old mini-bus that is filled to the brim - all of these reduced our enthusiasm for the country.

At the Katunayake Bus Terminal, we were waiting for the bus to Kandy which was already half an hour late. When it finally came another half an hour later, it was already packed. And we weren't the only ones waiting for its arrival. People started boarding while we were still arguing if we should hop in or not. We're no strangers to riding crammed buses (or MRTs) but with our backpacks, it would be a difficult three- to four-hour ride. We agreed on hiring a car instead, which would cost at least 6000 LKR if we could convince the two Korean girls to join us. Just as we were about to approach them, the first girl entered the bus, squeezed herself among the crowd and the other quickly followed. Our only hope was lost, leaving us with no other choice.

At the airport. Taking the wrong exit.
Several minutes later, the bus was still parked, the driver nowhere in sight. We spent the idle time strategizing, trying to secure a comfortable space in the bus. But it was futile because once the driver came back, we had to make room (from nothing) for other passengers. The man sitting close to us must have realized our 'difficult' position and offered his seat. Another man from behind also gave up his seat for us, seeing that we couldn't decide who between us would take the first seat. We never expected that but we were so grateful because along the way, the bus picked more passengers up and we could only wonder how it was possible.

One thing that we noticed while we were in the bus was a custom which I haven't seen anywhere else before. When one woman entered the bus, she gave all the stuff she was carrying to a person who was sitting. Well, they must be traveling together. In another case, one guy took the bag held by the person sitting next to me and thanked him before leaving the bus. Well, they must be friends. Another guy entered the bus and gave his backpack to my seatmate. I thought they couldn't be friends because they didn't greet or smiled to each other. Later on, we concluded that what we observed was their tradition. If you get a seat in the bus, you ought to help those who would be standing because you are in a comfortable position. This not only amazed me, but it also gave me a feeling of relief because they are a bunch who are willing to help someone they don't know. And somehow, it changed my initial impression of Sri Lanka.

But that is not the only story I wanted to share. I have another one.

It hadn't been halfway in the trip when I felt sick inside me. I fought it and then came a point when I knew I couldn't stand it any longer. I asked the woman standing close to me if she could tell the driver to stop at the closest gasoline station. She walked to the front of the bus. But minutes later, she hadn't returned and the bus didn't stop. My friend, who was a few seats behind me noticed there was something wrong and realized soon enough what it was. Nope, she didn't go to the driver (because he probably didn't speak English) but it was the guy next to here who volunteered to do so. (It's the same guy who gave his seat to us.) When the bus finally stopped, I rush out of it, threw my backpack to the ground and ran. I was in such a hurry I didn't even get to thank him.

I rushed towards a small eatery where two elderly women were chatting. I interrupted them (a bit disrespectful but it was an emergency) and asked for what I needed, not even considering that they may not speak English or whatever unfavorable response. Luckily, one of them spoke English and a few minutes later I was feeling a little better. I looked at her and she had this little smile and at the same time a concerned look. She was worried that I was not yet fully okay so she invited us to their eatery. She was hesitant to give me medicines, saying that it might not act favorably. So she just gave me something hot to drink instead. When we were ready to leave, she and her sister offered to find a tuk-tuk we could hire to get to Kandy (just in case I wasn't fully okay). They made several calls but thought that the price they get quoted with are too much. In the end, the woman who spoke English just helped us flag down a bus. I may have forgotten her name, but I will never forget the kindness she, and all the others, extended to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment